October 22nd marks the 200th anniversary of Franz Liszt. Liszt was a virtuosic pianist/composer during the romantic period. His personal life was full and he went from being a popular 'Lady's man' to later in life turned to priesthood! His piano pieces are lyrical and expressive and sometimes insanely difficult to play. He is sometimes nicknamed 'The Paganni for the piano' As violinist/composer Paganini was famous for being a virtuoso on the violin.
Here is a fun animation of the 'Tom & Jerry' cartoon featuring one of Liszt's most famous pieces, 'Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 I hope you enjoy it and it sparks your curiosity to explore more of Liszt's works. :)
Play your phone number
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
- c d e f g a b c d
* Write out your phone number
* underneath each number, write the music note that corresponds to it. A zero stands for a rest/silence/pause. 2 & 9 both stand for'd'
* practise playing these notes, in order, on the keyboard.
* Experiment with different rhythms until you are happy with how it sounds - don't change the order of the notes though!
* And now you have just composed a new piece of music based on your phone number! :)